The meanings of a few names that people would typically think are ghetto and meaningless
LAKEISHA: a swahili name meaning “favorite one”
LATEEFAH: a north african name meaning “gentle and pleasant”
LATONIA: a latin name. latonia was the mother of diana in roman mythology
LATISHA: means “happiness”
TAKIYA: a north african name meaning “righteous”
ESHE. African Swahili name meaning “immortal”
KALISHA. Probably from the Galla word kalisha “sorcerer, wizard, witch doctor, magician”
LEENA (لينا). Another spelling of Arabic Lina (q.v.), meaning “softness.” In use in Africa.
MAKENA. African Kikuyu name meaning “the happy one.”
NIA. African Swahili name meaning “intention, life purpose, mind.”
MONIFA. African Yoruba name, meaning “I am luck,” from mo “I,” and ifa “profit, luck.”
NUBIA. Unisex. African. From the name of the country Nubia, meaning “land of gold,” from the Coptic word for gold.
AYANA : Ethiopian female name meaning “beautiful flower.”
SHANIKA. Unisex. African Bantu name, probably meaning “young one from the wilderness.”
SALINA. African. A name in use in Kenya. It may mean “merciful.”
TAMEKA. Another spelling of the African Congo name Tamika (q.v.), meaning “a twin,”
TAMELA. African Zulu name meaning “she who basks in the sun,”
AMARA. f. African. From the Swahili word amara, meaning “urgent business.”
Hindu. name meaning “immortal.”
African. Ethiopian. Amharic amari, meaning “agreeable, pleasing.”
CHICHI f Western African, Igbo
Diminutive of Igbo names beginning with the element Chi meaning “God”.
IMANI f & m Eastern African, Swahili, African American
Means “faith” in Swahili, ultimately of Arabic origin.
AZIZA f means “Respected. Darling.” Muslim,African, Egyptian, Arabic, Somali name meaning “gorgeous.
DALIA/DALILA f means “Gentle.”
African, Arabic, American, Egyptian, Spanish, African, Hebrew
BIBI : An East African female name meaning “daughter of a king.” Also a Kiswahili word meaning “lady” or “grandmother.”
ADA : Ibo of Nigeria name for firstborn females.
ZENA : Ethiopian name meaning “news” or “fame.”
JAMILAH f means “Beautiful.”
Arabic, Muslim, African
KALIFA f means “Chaste; holy.”
RASHIDI/RASHIDA f means
“Wise.” Egyptian African Swahili name meaning “righteous.”
TAJ means “Crown.”
FATUMA : Popular Swahili and Somali versions of the name Muslim name, FATIMA, meaning “weaned.”
NANA : Ghanaian name meaning “mother of the Earth.”
AJA : High Priestess of Mecca.
ADINA : Amharic of Ethiopia word sometimes used as a female name, meaning “she has saved.”
BALINDA : A Rutooro of Uganda name meaning “patience, endurance, fortitude.” (Balinda is also used as a male name in Uganda.)
FANTA : Guinea and Cote D’Ivoire name meaning “beautiful day.”
KAYA : Ghanaian name meaning “stay and don’t go back.”
LAYLA , LAILA , LEYLA , LEILA : Swahili and Muslim name meaning “born at night.”
SHANI : Swahili name meaning “marvelous.”
ANAYA : Ibo of Eastern Nigeria name meaning “look up to God.”
TANISHA , TANI : Hausa of W. Africa name meaning “born on Monday.”
ZAKIYA : Swahili name meaning “smart, intelligent.”
TITI : Nigerian name meaning “flower.”
SAFIA , SAFIYA , SAFIYEH , SAFIYYAH : Swahili and Arabic name meaning “pure and wise” or “lion’s share.”
LULU : Swahili and Muslim name meaning “pearl” or “precious.”
KADIJA , KHADIJA : Swahili name meaning “born prematurely.”
AMINA : Somali and Muslim female name meaning “trustful, honest” and referring to Muhammed’s mother. This name is popular with the Hausa of West Africa.
Correction on Khadijah it’s actually of Arabic/Islamic origin in relation to Mohammed (peace be upon hims) first wife and also meaning born prematurely. It important to note children born prematurely were often seen as special or ‘golden child’ in many cultures. Correction also on Nana which comes from Akan tradition in Ghana it is used to refer to royalty and give a gender neutral indication of King/queen it’s also used in reference elderly members of the family ie grandparents.
o_O so my best friend’s name means “pure and wise” or “lion’s share”
No name is actually ghetto.
To a white person or a POC with a heavy anti-black complexity due to white supremacy, it is not the actual name of the person or the way it is spelled which they consider ghetto, it is the person themselves whole. What makes the name ghetto is not how it sounds or it place of origin, but the black body it is attached to.
Which also Attributes to why white people can name their children “Haley/Haleigh/Hailey/Halley/Hallie” or “Megan/Meagan/Meghan/Meaghan/Maygan”; even the not so ordinary names like ‘Lakelyn’ ‘Ashlyn’ etc etc without batting an eye, because it is attached to a white woman’s body.
It’s why a black child named ‘Asia’ is considered an extreme, but a white child can be named ‘Montana’, the name of a southern state, it’s perfectly normal.
Where as if this woman was BLACK and her name is “Ashleigh”, people would make commentary often about how ‘unique’ the spelling of her name is or how black people are always making up new names of spellings of words.
Love the names your parents gave you. If someone says it’s “ghetto”, I guess you just found out who is racist and who you won’t need or respect later in life.
If you are foreign to a country, DO NOT take a nickname some lazy, ignorant, bigot white person tries to give you. MAKE THEM learn your name, no names are actually that difficult, it’s the mentality that stops a person from learning the correct pronunciation of a name.
- boojierulesyou reblogged this from blackqueenpowa
- boojierulesyou likes this
- y0ungkingg reblogged this from blackqueenpowa
- outlineofmyailments likes this
- thetinytaco likes this
- looney-wyth likes this
- britttmarieeee likes this
- walk-with-anubis reblogged this from saddimples
- saddimples reblogged this from dominel
- thebigmystery42 reblogged this from ifyouregoingthroughhelkeepgoing
- dominel reblogged this from rostelliform
- ifyouregoingthroughhelkeepgoing reblogged this from bread-makes-youfat
- make-yiff-illegal likes this
- terfkin reblogged this from rostelliform
- bread-makes-youfat reblogged this from butterflyadder
- sheekra likes this
- rostelliform reblogged this from butterflyadder
- butterflyadder reblogged this from assgremlin
- x3takeabiteoutmyhearttonight likes this
- we-all--try reblogged this from livelifebydefying-gravity
- thug-nificent reblogged this from dont-let-her-go
- dont-let-her-go reblogged this from livelifebydefying-gravity
- dont-let-her-go likes this
- pip-piplup likes this
- cokecomplexion likes this
- theemissus-horsty reblogged this from betterthansecond
- lostgirlblue likes this
- kavyarai likes this
- curiousityforfun reblogged this from radicalmuscle
- sugarmeltsinrain likes this
- lalalala--love reblogged this from therodetoperfection
- cmdimelo likes this
- d-randomologist reblogged this from radicalmuscle
- datkid-m likes this
- spiffypony reblogged this from therodetoperfection
- etherblooms likes this
- betterthansecond reblogged this from radicalmuscle
- therodetoperfection reblogged this from radicalmuscle
- somanythingsonhere reblogged this from radicalmuscle
- cubicana likes this
- barettapr likes this
- goodbodygreatheart reblogged this from radicalmuscle
- colorspectrumsouls likes this
- comeoutwet likes this
- kenben9 reblogged this from radicalmuscle and added:
- onelen likes this
- croutonswithlettuce likes this
- radicalmuscle reblogged this from sheenvelopesthenight